Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
ESL Teachers Needed at ELS at the University of La Verne (La Verne)
Reporting directly to the Academic Director, the Associate Instructor is responsible for planning, teaching and evaluating assigned classes in accordance with the ELS curriculum, with assistance from the AD, Instructional Specialists, Senior Instructors and Instructors; for maintaining student class records; for fulfilling administrative duties as required and/or requested by the AD; and for participating in professional development activities such as workshops and meetings.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Associate Instructor is specifically responsible for performing the following duties:
• To teach SSP (Structure/Speaking Practice), Vocabulary Enrichment, Reading/Writing, Language Technology Center (LTC), and/or electives as assigned
• To prepare lesson plans, exercises and tests
• To test, evaluate and counsel the student regarding his/her classroom performance
• To maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning
• To coordinate instruction, attendance records and evaluation with other teachers
• To become familiar with and adhere to Center and Company policy and procedures
• To complete administrative paperwork as required or requested
• To maintain performance and attendance records
• To maintain Center resource materials and files
• To refer non-academic problems to the appropriate person(s)
• To observe other teachers, as suggested by the AD, for purposes of professional development and to be observed in all facets of the program
• To participate in administrative meetings and professional development activities
• To participate in the employee evaluation process (i.e., classroom observations and follow-up discussions and the performance appraisal process)
• To participate in activities during the Associate Instructor's scheduled class hours and, when requested, to disseminate information about after-class activities
• To contribute to the maintenance of neat classrooms and a neat staff workroom and staff lounge
• To substitute in emergency situations for less than a full day (assuming the Associate Instructor is not already teaching a full day) when there are no reasonable alternatives available to the AD
Education: BA/BS required; MA in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or CELTA preferred
Experience: A minimum of six months of ESL teaching experience for those who do not have an MA in TESOL or CELTA, such that the Associate Instructor possesses a minimum of three-year cumulative experience, education and training in the ESL/EFL field.
Competencies: Cultural sensitivity; flexibility; personal satisfaction derived from and enthusiasm for teaching international students; empathy for the problems of learning English as a second language; good communication and organizational skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Travel Requirements: None
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers